COVID-19 has affected the lives and livelihood of nearly everyone in the Columbia metropolitan area. As a nonprofit that focuses on connecting Columbia as individuals and businesses, Columbia Opportunity Resource (COR) quickly aligned our values with the digital adaptation. Though the COVID pandemic posed significant challenges to COR’s traditional event calendar, we found creative ways to fulfill our mission of connecting Columbia.
ACTIONS & IMPACT:
- 5 Membership Events
Virtual Happy Hour: How to Succeed Personally and Professionally During COVID-19
Virtual Discussion: Bringing the Midlands Together: Race, Culture, and Change
Virtual Discussion: How to Support Local During COVID-19
Featured a panel of local business owners and community leaders
Halloween Activate at the Woody
Brand Refresh Launch Activate at Market on Main
- 4 Volunteer Opportunities
Supported the World of Beer Festival in February with volunteer workers. COR’s 32 volunteers served a total of 128 hours.Hosted a blood drive in conjunction with the American Red Cross of South Carolina and the Five Points Association. The blood drive included 32 donors who helped save 83 lives through their donations.
Supported Families Helping Families through donations of clothes, toys, books, and gift cards to a local family in need. COR members bought every item on our family’s list and provided $180 in gift cards for groceries.
Supported Columbia Urban League of South Carolina with 9 volunteers at the 53rd Annual Beatrice McKnight Christmas Project. We helped pack and deliver more than 300 boxes of food for families and elderly members of the Midlands community.
- 1 Table for Six EventPartnered with Central Carolina Community Foundation to host four socially-distanced, outdoor On the Table Conversations throughout Columbia, West Columbia, and Cayce
- Crash Course Columbia
Launched a brand new talent retention program in partnership with the City of Columbia, Columbia Economic Development, Richland County Economic Development, and Experience Columbia SC. This day-and-a-half program offers participants insider experiences at Columbia attractions and eateries. Following a successful pilot in January 2020, the program was put on hold during the pandemic but plans to reignite with extra safety precautions in 2021.
- Conducted a survey of existing members to understand membership needs, especially in the COVID environment
- Executed a comprehensive brand refresh, including renewed mission and statements, visual brand elements.
- Refreshed the website to create a more user-friendly interface that more accurately reflects COR’s current activities and goals.